Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Pita Pizzas

Here is a great recipe that comes from a friend of mine. It is a family favorite of ours. I will post a picture when I make it next.

2 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, pressed or chopped
4 flat bread (Pita bread without pockets. I get mine at Sprouts).
1 cup, approx. mozzarella cheese
2 cup, approx. fresh chopped vegetables to top pizzas (tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, etc.)
1 cup, apporx. pepperoni, bacon, ham or sausage to top pizzas (optional)
2 T. fresh basil leaves, chopped

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix olive oil, Italian seasoning, vinegar and garlic together in a small bowl. Brush this mixture on one side of each flat bread and place flat breads on a cookie sheet. Top flat bread with your fresh vegetable toppings, meat (if desired) and end with mozzarella cheese on top. Bake 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges are lightly browned. (I find that my oven cooks these in about 8 minutes). Top pizzas with fresh basil.

Note: I usually double or triple this recipe to make 8-12 pitas at a time.

No comments: